The Passive Income "Unreform" - Recent Developments - Recorded Webinar
The earning of passive income had always received somewhat special tax treatment and been the subject of some very specific tax rules. More recently, the 2018 federal budget introduced new changes that have yet another impact on the way passive income is taxed and influences other areas of taxation. It is vital for service providers to stay abreast of these differences and changes when advising their clients.
Join Manu Kakkar of Kakkar CPA Professional Corporation for a practical overview of the tax considerations and treatment of passive income. The presentation will also include several real-world examples and case studies which are drawn from the presenter’s everyday experiences. In this context, planning alternatives, and common “tips” and “traps” will be discussed.
More specifically, topics covered will include:
Further Curtailment of the Small Business Deduction
- Introduction of a New Passive Income Limitation
- Policy Concerns
- Various Numerical Example
- Potential planning opportunities - some obvious and some not
- Should the small business deduction be abolished?
- Impact of Ontario not following the Federal SBD passive grind rues – why other provinces should follow
New Restrictions on Dividend Refunds
- Cannot GRIP and REFUND at the same time!
- Policy Concerns
- Mini Case Examples
- Potential double tax traps
- Potential planning opportunities - some “plain vanilla” and some exotic
- Recent developments of these rules shall be discussed.
This webinar will be of most relevance to accountants, tax practitioners and lawyers, and will also be valuable to other members of the private client services and estate planning industry, including investment and financial advisors.
Professional Development Credits
Wolters Kluwer Canadian professional development programs are designed to meet the continuing education requirements of a variety of professional associations. These requirements do vary by association and region. Please consult your provincial association to ensure this webinar meets the continuing professional development standards for your specific situation.