Estate Planning with Life Insurance, 7th Edition
This guide provides critical insight into the many roles life insurance plays in estate planning.
This guide provides critical insight into the many roles life insurance plays in estate planning. An essential reference for anyone involved in estate planning, this book will demonstrate how life insurance can assist your clients in securing lifetime financial success and establishing a strong legacy.
This handy reference includes:
- How to resolve and plan for estate liquidity needs
- The impact of personal and corporate tax rates on life insurance planning
- The role of corporate-owned life insurance in estate and business planning
- Insurance needs and succession planning for owners of family businesses
- Detailed strategies for funding shareholders' agreements
- How to help clients and find insurance opportunities by reviewing and understanding shareholders' agreements
- The use of life insurance as a leveraging vehicle
- The use of life insurance in planning with trusts
- The role of life insurance in charitable giving
- Creditor protection using insurance products
New for this edition:
- The impact of the new passive income rules and other private corporation tax changes on life insurance planning
- Rewritten and expanded commentary regarding the transfer of insurance policies between corporations and shareholders
- New case studies and updates throughout the book
- Commentary in different chapters concerning the impact of changing personal tax rates and dividend tax rates on insurance and tax planning
- The impact of recent Budget changes on corporate-owned life insurance and capital dividend account planning
- Important new court cases, including the Supreme Court of Canada decision in Moore v. Sweet
About the Author:
Glenn Stephens, LL.B., TEP, FEA, was called to the Ontario Bar in 1982 and spent two years with a major accounting firm before joining the insurance industry as a tax and estate planning consultant. Glenn subsequently became a partner in a Toronto law firm before returning to the insurance industry in 1996 as a tax and estate planning consultant to a major Canadian insurance distributor. Glenn is Vice-President, Planning Services with PPI Advisory in Toronto, and provides tax and legal support to PPI Associates across Canada. He has been with PPI since 2004. Glenn has lectured and written extensively on the subjects of estate planning, taxation, and life insurance. He is a regular columnist for FORUM magazine and an editor of CLU Comment. Glenn is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), the Conference for Advanced Life Underwriting (CALU), and the Canadian Tax Foundation.