Business owners are regularly in need of succession planning and estate planning guidance. Over the past few years there have been a number of changes that have altered the way we plan using trusts, and this is an area that continues to be impacted. Accordingly it is important to stay up to date on the most recent events influencing wills and estate planning.
Join Caroline Rhéaume for a practical overview of the most important considerations impacting tax and estate planning strategies. This webinar will explore legal considerations, recent legislative changes (such as TOSI), technical interpretations and jurisprudence. Caroline will also provide guidance on how these changes affect estate planning and how to avoid the common pitfalls.
- Tax implications of dying without a will
- Clients’ misconceptions about dying without a will, and beneficiary designations
- Common pitfalls and drafting errors when writing a will
- Issues with second marriage situations
- Marriage and revocation of a Will
- Impacts of a divorce on a Will
- Coordination between inter vivos trusts and Wills
- Will drafting when there are shares of a private company (continuity rules and TOSI)
- Why are testamentary trusts still valuable in estate planning
- The estate plan process
- Using an alter ego trust as an alternative to a Power of attorney
- Recent technical interpretations affecting estate planning
This webinar will be of most interest to tax practitioners, lawyers and accountants (practicing independently or in small to medium sized firms), but may also be useful to financial planners working in financial institutions or wealth management firms, and other service professionals.
Professional Development Credits
Wolters Kluwer Canadian professional development programs are designed to meet the continuing education requirements of a variety of professional associations. These requirements do vary by association and region. Please consult your provincial association to ensure this webinar meets the continuing professional development standards for your specific situation.
This Webinar Includes:
- 30 days to review the webinar recording
- Print version of the presentation slides