The Canadian SR&ED Tax Incentives Handbook, 2nd Edition
Comprehensive guide helping tax practitioners and businesses understand the complex qualification process and maximize SR&ED benefits.
The Canadian SR&ED Tax Incentives Handbook shows you how to take full advantage of one of the most generous R&D tax incentive programs in the world.
Every year, the Canadian government awards up to $4 billion in cash refunds and tax credits for Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED).The Canadian SR&ED Tax Incentives Handbook provides accountants, tax experts, lawyers, scientists and technologists with practical tools that assist in the management of SR&ED programs in order to realize the greatest tax advantage. Author Lucie Bélanger, of the accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, provides comprehensive commentary on all matters,including:
- Eligibility of activities and expenditures for the SR&ED program
- How to identify SR&ED activities in commercial projects
- Management and documentation of SR&ED projects
- The review of SR&ED contracts by tax authorities
- New CRA administrative policies
- Recent changes to the Income Tax Act
The Canadian SR&ED Tax Incentives Handbook includes practical examples, summaries of recent court decisions, keys to identifying SR&ED activities, and case studies by sector. Although comprehensive in its coverage and references, it offers practical strategies and tactics covering the most common SR&ED issues. Written by practitioners for practitioners, this essential guide provides the answers you need to ensure SR&ED planning is accurate,complete, efficient and by the rules.
- Eligible SR&ED activities as defined in the law
- Excluded activities
- Common practice
- Tribunals and the concept of SR&ED
- The CRA's interpretation of the concept of experimental development
- Issues with respect to the eligibility of the activities
- SR&ED projects and business projects
- Fundamental and applied research
- Industrial research
- Experimental development projects within business projects
- Research and development of products and processes
- Strategic development of products and processes
- Innovation and business strategy
- Introduction of new technologies and development of products and processes
- Purchases of technology, know-how or SR&ED results
- Purchase, development and improvement of production equipment
- Projects involving industrial control and automation
- Moulds and tools
- Eligible experimentation activities and trial runs
- Software development
- Documentation of SR&ED activities
- Tax treatment of eligible expenditures and the investment tax credit
- Making an SR&ED credit claim
About the Author
Lucie Bélanger, LL.B., M.Fisc., is a partner in the Tax Services practice at PricewaterhouseCoopers, where she leads the SR&ED team of scientific and tax specialists to assist a variety of emerging and established businesses in claims for federal and provincial SR&ED credits. Lucie has more than 20 years of experience presenting and defending SR&ED tax credit claims with tax authorities. She provides consultation, research and planning services for businesses of various sizes with respect to SR&ED tax credits and tax credits promoting new economic development in Canada.
In 153 countries, PwC provides industry-focused assurance, advisory and tax services for public, private and government clients in the areas of corporate accountability; risk management; structuring and mergers and acquisitions; and performance and process improvement.